Copyright is a small part of a larger bracket of law known as intellectual property law. It generally deals with trademarks or patents. Getting a copyright on art created by you, such as literature, music, photographs, designs etc. means that only you will be able to further display it. A copyright gives the owner the sole right to perform or create derivate art from it and also reproduce it if they so desire. The copyright law also gives the economic right to the owner to be the exclusive individual who benefits from it and prevents anyone else from profiting from the copyrighted material without the prior consent of the owner.
There are several situations that warrant the need of a copyright lawyer. If you find something created by you on someone else’s website without credit or citation, it is time to give hiring a copyright attorney some serious thought. This must be done as soon as possible when you notice that someone has plagiarized something which was original written by someone else and has copyright or if music, art, or any other creative property has been infringed upon.
What to Consider When Hiring Copyright Lawyers?
- An important consideration that you must pay attention to when choosing a copyright lawyer is the experience he or she has had. However, just legal experience is not enough. Make sure that the lawyer has enough experience with copyright laws and has both theoretical knowledge and practical experience.
- Before you hire someone, ask some importance questions such as the cases that they have been involved with. Enquire about if they have worked with and represented clients who were in a position identical or similar to yours and what the outcome of the case was.
Here are three copyright related steps in which a lawyer can help you:
- Registration: A lawyer will make sure that the registration of your copyright is completed without any delays and oversights. An experienced attorney will guide you along the steps one by one and make sure that your work is properly protected.
- Renewal: Copyrights have to be renewed regularly or they will expire and turn void. As you progress with your work and get more copyrights, the attorney will keep an eye of expirations and ensure that the renewals are done on time.
- Protection: If a material protected by copyright has been infringed upon, it is the responsibility of the owner, and the lawyer by extension to seek legal judgment. Experienced copyright lawyers will make sure that the right steps are taken and necessary steps are taken against the violation.
Copyright lawyers can not only be hired by owners of property, i.e. the ones who are suing but even people who are being wrongfully sued. For instance, imagine that you posted a picture on your website and the next thing you know is you are being threating to be sued by the person who took the picture or his lawyer. During a situation like this, just take a step back and hire the best copyright attorney you can to deal with the situation as fast and as effortlessly as possible.